Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Baby Starts School!

           Yes, Rutland has been going to MDO for the past 2 years, so technically this is not his first year at school. BUT, it is his first year in the Day School part of our school which is 2's-Kindergarten. We have had such an amazing experience with the MDO and all the nursery ladies, I'm so sad he's not down there this year. I really didn't think he would notice at all, or if anything, might be a little sad to be leaving his "crew" downstairs. Ms. Kina, Ms. Wanda, Ms. Dee, Ms. Tenicia (and everyone really) took such good care of him  - I'm having detachment issues from not seeing all those sweet ladies each morning. But, as soon as I brought his new "blue" school bag home from parent orientation night, he has been so excited about his new class. He has always had a red bag in MDO and obviously has noticed that Caroline has had a blue bag (different shape too). When he saw his new blue bag that matched Caroline's blue bag, he totally got it! He knew he was going to be doing the same thing Sissy was, and that made him very happy ;) We really didn't even spend a ton of time talking about the start of the new school year and how it would be different for him. I just mentioned his new teachers by name and gave him a quick spill about obeying, going potty, and manners, and that was it. But he obviously knew something was up. When we got ready for school that morning, he was super quick to put his clothes on, eat, and was ready to carry his new blue bag to the car for me. As you can tell from the photos, he was all smiles. When we got to school, he went straight to the MDO doors when we walked in like he had done a million times before. But when I pointed to the door to the stairs and told him we were going upstairs to mommy's room, he grinned from ear to ear, and said, "O-tay!!!". He loved getting to play in my room before school started - he's never gotten to do this before b/c I always dropped him off on the 1st floor before coming upstairs. Then, when it was time to take Caroline and him to their rooms, he dashed out the door and started running in any room he could find hoping that was his new room. I corralled him to the right room and he hit the brakes when he walked in and saw no friends he knew, 2 new friends were not happy their mommy's were leaving, and his room looked very different from the rooms he has known the past 2 years. He started backpedaling a little and I could tell he was scared. We walked on in the room and put his bag up, and then he saw his long lost buddy Turner (who has been in his class in MDO) through the adjoining bathroom, and I could see the relief come across his face. He ran and hugged Turner and I decided it was time for me to sneak out while all was good.
            Of course this whole thing was old hat to Caroline. She was thrilled to be going to the 4's (upstairs from Mommy's room-very big deal to her) and she has tons of buddies in her class this year, so she was very easy to drop off (a little too easy if you ask me). She walked right in, started talking to her teacher, and I'm pretty sure didn't stop until Mrs. Rachel brought her to me that afternoon. I didn't see her one time all day! Last year I probably saw her 5 times a day, which I loved. She's a big girl now - and only one year away from Kindergarten!! Sniff, Sniff!!
           At the end of the day, Rutland's teachers brought him to my room and he had the most genuine, sweet grin on his face. He ran to me and yelled, "Mommy!". I have never been happier to see that kid! I asked him if he had a great day at school, and he said, "Yes, I wub my school!" Caroline said she had a great day and proceeded to tell me every detail as I was herding everyone out the door so we could dash across town to ballet! I guess the race is on now...
 Rutland with his new "BLUE" school bag!

 Quick hug before school.

 So happy! Mommy is equally as happy to be going back :)


 Playing in Mommy's room before school with Harris & Miller


 Caroline and Tate!
 They aren't in the same room this year (they were together last year) but hoping they will still get to see each other some.

 This is the one shot I got of buddy in his room. There was so much going on, I couldn't get a picture with his teachers - maybe Friday. I know how hectic it is with parents on that first day, so I did not want to add to their stress. 

           After school playing in my room with Mary Carter and Harris!

No comments: